- Semiconductor laser physics and technology: dynamics of lasers and nonlinear optical
systems, optical switching and bistability; laser stabilisation and frequency/phase locking;
- modulation- and reflection-induced instabilities and chaos in semiconductor lasers;
- ultrafast optical and electronic processes in semiconductors including many-body effects and
non-equilibrium carrier distributions;
- surface-emmitting semiconductor lasers and microcavities;
- diode laser based remote sensing by coherent optical backscatter;
- medical and engineering applications of lasers;
Other Professional Experience
- 1995 - 2006: Research Director, Plasma Ireland Ltd, a private venture in optoelectronics and plasma processing
- 1989 - 1993: Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Associate Professor of Physics and Astronomy, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, USA
- 1986 - 1989: Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of New Mexico
- 1984 - 1986: STL Research Fellow in Optoelectronics, Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge University
- 1982 - 1984: Research Assistant in Physics Department, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
- 1981 - 1982: Research Engineer at Standard Telecommunication Laboratories (STL), Harlow, England
Academic Honours and Awards
- Regents Lecturer (one of 10 at the University of New Mexico), 1990-93.
- Recipient of University of New Mexico College of Engineering Outstanding Researcher Award for 1990
- Fellow of Cambridge University Philosophical Society, elected 1985
- Fellow of Robinson College, Cambridge University, 1984-87
- Postgraduate Research Scholarship at Trinity College, Dublin, 1982-84
- College Scholar, University College Cork, National University of Ireland, 1976-80
Professional Societies and Activities
Member of the Institute of Physics (UK), the Optical Society of America, and the Institute of
Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Lasers and Electro-Optics Society.
Reviewer for electronics Letters, Journal of Quantum Electronics, Optics Letters Photonics
Technology Letters, Applied Physics Letters, Physical Review, Journal of the Optical Society of
America, Optical engineering, Optics Communications.
Member of program committee for Nonlinear Dynamics of Optical Systems topical meetings and of Laser Diode Modeling and Simulation (1997-)
and Vertical Cavity Semiconductor Laser (1980) conferences, SPIE-International Society for
Optical Engineering, program chair for semiconductor laser committee, 1994 Conference on lasers
and Electro-Optics (CLEO Europe '94).
Proposal review for US National Science foundation and Department of Defence, NATO, Forbairt (Ireland) and several private foundations.
Irish Natl Delegate to EU COST Working Group on Technology-Driven Physics, 1994-.
Member of RIA Irish National Committee for Physics, 1996-.